Pages

Monday, January 20, 2014

I Like To Make Myself Believe


"I like to make myself believe that planet earth turns slowly"

My mind sways to the voice of Owl City as I decide to write a long awaited blog post. The time has passed rather quickly when I look back now, although it seemed like eternity back then. The day just didn't seem to end as I sat in the examination hall, racking my brain till the last minute for every bit of information I read in the books to write in the answer sheet. The moment my last exam ended on a wonderful note (it was English, so you can guess how 'difficult' it was) and I found myself in the most picturesque beach in the area with my two closest friends in college. The welcoming smell of the sea, repulsive taste of the salt and the texture of small grains of sand under my bare feet; the entire ecosystem surrounding the vast expanse of the sea embraced me with open arms.
The day passed by blissfully, and ended with a lovely dinner with my best friend at Pizza Hut. The walk upto my hostel with the person I care about most in the campus was the silver lining to that wonderful day.

Two days later was a journey which I was looking forward to for about a month and a half. Little did I know that the journey would be the most mortifying and pain staking in its kind. A couple of students of my college and I took a flight to Mumbai and were going to hop onto another at Mumbai that would lead us to home sweet home. An unfortunate turn of events and we found ourselves waiting in the Mumbai airport for over 4 hours due to flight delay. We had started considering calling up our friends and relatives there in Mumbai in case we had to bunk in for the night. But as gracious and scheming as God always is, He found us a way to get home finally. The aircraft that was supposed to land at 4:00pm in the afternoon, touched down at 11:30 at night.
Lesson learnt. How to survive in a public place smelling full of sweat, coffee and sanitizers. Furthermore, an Indian fleet of airlines whose name rhymes with "ice-let" serves Khichdi and Tropicana to weary travelers who have been sitting with their asses sore for over 7 hours!

So after that personalized insight to the life and times of a weary winter air traveler, I finally snuggled up inside my quilt, next to my little brother, on the most comfortable piece of furniture in the world - my bed. And it gets better... with a novel.
Ah!
Perfect winter bliss.

I kept thanking and silently praying to my Institute for being so considerate and planning to give us engineers-in-the-making, a well deserved break into foggy, dewy and snuggly-wuggly winter at our homes.

After a couple of outing with my schoolmates and a great Christmas party organised at the club, I found myself in an airplane taking me to the most cherished place in the entire world. My birthplace, Digboi.


After that the whole trip seemed to finish in a complete whirlwind. Starting from the dance parties, jam sessions and dinner parties at the posh Digboi club, to spending the worst New Year of my life (coughing my lungs out in fever), the adventurous boat rides on the mighty Brahmaputra (yes, that's the river in the picture), sightimg plenty of migratory birds and a wild Kaziranga trail on the backs of a rather moody, old elephant... the trip had its share of ups and downs. Short and sweet, just the way I like everything!
Wait. Well, not EVERYTHING. (If you know what I mean, you perverted piece of junk!)

Somehow, as I'm typing this blog post down, sitting in my hostel room and staring at a rather bright screen with sleepy eyes, I can't help but remember all those people I met in my homeland who showered so much love on me since my birth. Some very much, others not so much. But its the feeling that counts. And I consider myself utterly blessed to belong to such a wonderful, beautiful and respected clan of my land.

If you're thinking "Say, that's by far the most sentimental piece of junk I've ever read", then fear not, dear readers.
There's a masterpiece that I've been working on though, and I still need quite some time to finish that piece of writing.
Till then,

ciao~



1 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a fantastic post! I've read it 10 times already! :)